As we all know, Magento is an open-source e-commerce platform written in PHP for e-commerce websites. Magento was originally developed by Varien Inc. In 2011, eBay acquired Magento completely to join its new E-commerce initiative. Magento supports a Web template system which generates multiple similar-looking pages and customizes the theme.
In November 2015, Magento announced the new 2.0 platform for enterprise and community editions. The impending release of this new version sent waves through the Magento community. Some were excited for the change, while others felt Magento 1 was more suitable for their e-commerce needs.
is now most widely used e-Commerce platform powering over 250,000 sites. Magento 2 is a complete refactor of the software with essentially the same feature set, so far addressed mainly three areas: technological renewal, enhanced modularity both in the backend and frontend, and improved performance.
Magento Edition 2.0-
This edition includes the following features:
- New Structure: There are two major changes in the Magento 2 file structure. Firstly, everything is placed directly under the app structure. Secondly, every module has its own VIEW directory in which you can access all template, layout, js, and CSS/fewer files of any specific module.
- New Layout Elements: With the Visual Design editor, organizing blocks will now be more intuitive by just moving the blocks around and easily define the sections of the layout in a clearer way.
- Full page caching – Full page catching is possible as system builds out all of your pages in a static file system so that page load times are reduced to 1-2 seconds.
- Streamlined Checkout Process– With the Magento 2.0 checkout, guest checkout is assumed. An existing customer can log out without having to remember his/her password. Certain things like having to choose credit card type have been removed.
- The database is no longer a single point of failure-Magento 2.0 Enterprise allows you to separate your databases avoiding database failure issues. You can have one MySQL database that is responsible for serving all of the content pages, product and category pages.
- Other features include RMA, Admin logging, gift registry, advanced customer segmentation, personalization, better PCI compliance, gift points and more. If you need these features, Magento Enterprise has them built in, and you don’t have to turn to third-party modules.
- Better performance / reduced table locking-When too many people try to place orders on the site, performance issues with table locking are seen most of the times. This table locking problem is reduced thereby improving the performance of Magento sites.
According to BuiltWith statistics in April 2016, Magento holds 14% of the market share for e-commerce platforms.
According to an Ahead Works statistics report shows the download of Magento framework compared to other platforms as follows:
In terms of geography, United States is the leading market for Magento.
Magento 2 platform is designed to provide a better experience for customers and for the admin. It also maintains the flexibility of Magento but adds few useful features.
Wherever any material is quoted as sourced from the published text with publishing rights vested in an individual, it is stated that it is a pure quotation and no intention to claim it as our own