What is Malware and Virus?
According to the Microsoft: – Malware is a short form for “malicious software.” Malware is any kind of unwanted software that is installed without your adequate consent. Viruses, worms, and Trojan horses are examples of malicious software that are often grouped together and referred to as malware. (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/resources/malware-whatis.aspx)
Malware is specifically designed to gain access or damage a computer without the knowledge of the owner. Malware can be in the form of script, code and other online software’s. There are various types of:-
• Viruses- Virus is the self replication program. It makes its own clone and spread that clone in different sections of the computer. Along with the replication they try to damage files and other important stuff. They are event driven program once any activity happens they get activated and perform their task to what they built for.
• Worms – Worm and virus are very similar to each other. The only difference is worms are network oriented they spread from one computer to another computer through network.
• Trojan horses- These are the legitimate program which attach themselves with any program or software and get the access to enter into the computer or network. Once they enter into the system they get activate and infect the files.
• Key loggers- Key logger capture every key stoke by the keyboard. Once it is installed into your system it will track and store all your information which you entered with the help of keyboard.
• Spyware- This is not the infected mechanisms. Spyware is basically for collecting the information about other user’s activities. Spyware can be with the virus and worm. Once they get installed into the system they will collect the information about the user activity and send it back to the hacker.
Precaution against Malware and Virus
If you want to secure your website from malware and antivirus make sure that your firewall should consist of virus safeguard feature. Always make sure that your firewall should always be updated.
Avion’s suggestions for protecting website on your server:
1. After the source code files are transferred on client server and also after the support period is over, Client should change all the passwords, including Admin password, hosting server passwords, FTP passwords.
2. These passwords should be changed regularly after certain intervals.
3. Use strong passwords with letters, numbers and symbols (Over 6 characters). Creating a strong password will help you in protecting your files.
4. Do not store any passwords on your computer.
5. Use SFTP (Secure File Transfer protocol), if your server company is unable to provide this, you may expose yourself to malicious virus attacks
6. Always take a backup of your virus free website and save them in a secure environment.
7. Use reputable server companies to host your website and take plans that protect your website well with firewalls.
8. If you receive any attachment or bulk email from unrecognized source then don’t open that they could consist of different form of malwares.
9. These are only a few suggestions. Please obtain additional information from your hosting company.