In our earlier blog we mentioned about negative SEO reasons that lead to penalization by Google. Here we are going to talk about positive SEO and their implementation. Maintaining a SEO friendly website will not only help you in gaining high Page Rank’s but also lowers the bounce rate (users spend more time on website).
On Page SEO
- Content: Content is the most pivotal part of great website. Content should have following features to attract visibility from search engines.
- Creative and Unique: Uniqueness of content increases thirst for knowledge in users. It will also prevent you from duplicate content issues and Google penalties.
- Latest and Up-to-date: Search Engines don’t want to return results that are out dated. To comply with needs of user and search engines your content must be recent and newly updated.
- Appealing (Visually as well as informatively): Attractive content always gains attention. It depends on you to use methods that suit you best, such as use of images, clarity of presentation, using graphs or bar charts for stats etc. Being creative and innovative might help you here.
- Structure: Having a user oriented navigational website structure increases the chances for becoming search engine friendly. People have a myth that simple web page is all what one needs but it is completely a false statement. Your web page structure must be self explanatory and eye catching to increase traffic. After all not every website is Google.
- Flash and Ajax: Use of Flash and Ajax is good for optimizing user understanding of website. It also makes the websites more interactive. But their use must be limited as search engines are not able to recognize the content inside them. It also increases the website loading speed and hence irritating for user as well as search engines.
- Hierarchical Link Structure: A Hierarchical tree-like structure of webpage links helps in attaining user friendly navigation. It makes your website well organized and accessible.
- Permanent Link: Assign permanent/solid URLs to web pages. Always use canonical URLs with 301 permanent redirects to get full credibility for the landing page. It also eases crawlability for search engines. Choose the most efficient and relevant URL for your website.
- Development Framework: There are lots of CMSs available in the market. A CMS must be chosen on the basis of its features compatible to your website and not on its popularity or price. Other features include backend usability, percent of manual coding involved, availability of plugins and variety in templates.
- Keyword Research: It is one of the significant aspects in deciding your sites PR. It’s like backbone of your content.
- Choose the most apt keywords for title tag of your website based on its usage and competition statistics. Title tags are the first preference for web crawlers in deciding website’s relevance.
- Then its relevance is decided on the basis of content. Keywords must be sparingly distributed all over the webpage, especially in titles having H tags, image alt tags, main content of web page. Remember to use it wisely and not excessively as it leads to penalization.
- Submitting Sitemap.xml and Robot.txt files: These files are used to guide spiders about link structure of our website.
- Robots.txt: It is used to instruct crawlers regarding prohibited links for crawling. Web robots access this file to check for accessibility permissions regarding links. Main strategy behind using robots.txt file is to attain full credibility for a web page and not getting penalized for duplicate content. For e.g. If you don’t want your login page, admin page, dashboard page to be indexed in search results, you can specify its URL in robots.txt file.
- Sitemap.xml: It contains the list of URLs that are susceptible for crawling. You can submit it through webmaster tools and robots.txt. You can update your sitemap.xml file when required and resubmit it via webmaster tool or HTTP request.
- Loading Speed: Google has clearly stated that website loading speed will also be accounted for SEO. On an average your website must not take more than 5 sec to load. There are a number of factors that you can work on to increase your website speed:
- Server: Using server host, having less website traffic and more bandwidth supports loading speed.
- Image Optimization: Preventing usage of large sized images will benefit a lot in gaining loading speed.
- Database Connectivity: Website pages using databases as data source load slower in comparison to those who don’t. If your task can be accomplished without using databases then go for it.
- Avoid Redirection
- Google Authorship: This is a trust building step taken by Google to establish originality of links. For Google Authorship one needs to have a Google+ profile with details about the author of the website. The aim behind introducing this concept is, Google wants its users to access only those information that is published by a verified author. Even the user’s probability of clicking on such links is high.
Off Page SEO
Off page SEO is basically your social media presence and Google gives you credits on the basis of that. But be careful about your backlinks as few spammers use it in their advantage to mislead your website traffic and harm your page rank. Google strictly penalizes such websites.
- Social Networking: This is the best way to connect to the audience and spread awareness about your website or product. Social Networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Pintrest etc provide platform for social connect. Register with your company profile into these sites for building your online reputation.
- Blogging: It refers to writing blogs that best suits your needs on different websites like WordPress, Blogger, Tumbler etc. Blogging is useful in attracting traffic of users having same interests as of you.
- Article Submission: Submitting articles to article publishing websites like Buzzle, GoArticle, ArticleBase, ArticleCity etc. This comes in handy if you write articles related to your website offerings. It will help in providing rightful information to rightful users and inturn gives you traffic.
- Social Bookmarking: It is useful in providing backlinks to your website. Submit your latest posts, blogs, pages to sites like Delicious, Reddit, StumbleUpon, Tumbler etc. Social Bookmarking plays significant role in increasing website traffic as Google looks out for sites that publish latest content on their website.
- Forum Discussions: Participating in discussions related to your product on other websites including posting comments, replies and answering queries with references to your website, acts as a backlink to your website.
- Local Listing: It is listing your website into local directories in your niche. It helps users looking out for similar business in your targeted area find your site. Websites like Yellow Pages, Local-Google, Yahoo Local etc can be used for local listings.